December 03, 2021
Finocchi Gratinati al forno- Baked fennel au gratin
This fennel bake makes the most comforting winter lunch or side dish with a giant slab of bread and plently of parm and olive oil slathered on top. My father-in-law makes it every winter when we come down and I cant get enough!
- 3 fennel bulbs
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs (approx.)
- ⅓ cup Parmesan (and extra to garnish)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Parsley (as much as you want)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Set a large pot of water to boil
- Clean the fennel by removing the external layer and the fronds. Reserve the fronds for garnish.
- Cut them into about 1 inch thick sections
- Rinse the fennel thoroughly under running water and then add them to the boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes then drain them and dab them with a clean cloth to remove excess water.
- Put the fennel in a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper and your favorite herbs. We just use parsley. I also add crushed red pepper to mine because I like it spicy!
- Add the oil to the mixture, adjusting the quantity according to your preference. Mix so that the breading is a uniform consistency.
- Put the fennel and breadcrumb mixture into a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
- Serve warm with plenty of parm on the table!