- Shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Pickled red onions
- Basil (fresh)
- White wine vinegar
- Cut your cherry tomatoes in half and put them in a bowl with shredded basil and some salt and EVOO. Let them rest while you prepare the mango.
- Peel and dice the mango and add it to the tomatoes and basil.
- Add vinegar, more EVOO and salt to taste (you want this to end up being pretty saucy so don't be afraid to go hard.
- Let rest together while you prepare the shrimp.
- Make sure your shrimp are cleaned, peeled and deveined.
- Set a pot of water to boil and once boiling add the shrimp for 3 minutes then immediately drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Or give em a quick ice bath. Either way works.
- Add the shrimp and the pickled onions to the mango/tomato mixture and give it a good toss.
- Taste it, if it needs more salt, vinegar or oil add it in.
- Best enjoyed with a delicious bread to sop up the sauce left over!
*As always this is a method. Don't get hung up on amounts. You want to use a pound of shrimp for your salad, cool. You want to add less vinegar, okay. Like any salad, add what you want and how much you want of it. I like to go heavy on the mangos and the pickled red onions in this recipe but I'm not you!
This recipe is a recreation of the gamberi catalana at our favorite Sardinian restaurant in Milan, Isola dei Sapori (if you're ever in Milan, definitely stop by for the original!) They do this recipe unlike any other.
We really started to miss it during quarantine and decided to try and recreate it. It took a couple of attempts but we finally figured it out. I think the key is letting the flavors marinate for a bit while you prepare the shrimp and making sure to add plenty of salt, vinegar and EVOO. This combo really hits the spot on a hot summer day with an ice cold glass of white wine.