This classic Tuscan summer salad is a family favorite. It combines the best of your summer garden and last night's left over bread turning them into a refreshing and irresistible summer lunch. Nothing is better than coming home from a hot day at the beach and digging this beauty out of the fridge!
- 1 lb stale country style bread, about 4 slices 1 inch thick
- 4 large very ripe tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 02 2 cucumbers, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil, coarsely chopped or torn
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soften the bread slices in a bowl of cool water, then squeeze each slice gently to rid of excess liquid. Tear the bread into chunks and toss into a salad bowl.
- Slice the tomatoes thickly or into chunks and add to the bowl.
- Add the onion, cucumber and basil.
- In a small bowl beat the oil and vinegar to emulsify then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Set aside in a cool spot for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors combine.
- Serve and enjoy!