- 1 carrot
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 1 rib of celery
- Finely dice the onion
- Peel and finely dice the carrot
- Peel the back side of the celery and finely dice
- Put the extra virgin olive oil in a pan 10 heat and then add the chopped onion, carrots and celery
- Cook over medium heat constantly stirring for about 10 minutes or until the onion has become completely transparent
- To speed up cooking, you can also add about ⅓ cup of white wine or water after about 5 minutes
As a side note, cutting the veggies soffritto can be a little bit of a tedious process. My mother in law taught me that a good way to go about it is to make a large amount all in one go and place the remaining ingredients (raw) unto an ice cube tray with a tiny bit of water. Then you just pop out the frozen sections throw them into a freezer bag and grab a cube whenever you need one!
Soffritto aka: the holy trinity, is the base of many, many dishes in Italian cuisine. It is a simple mix of finely diced onion, celery and carrot. It is seen in many cuisines throughout Europe, know as mirepoix in France and Suppengrun in Germany. Its a basic formula and things can be added to compliment each specific dish. I often add garlic and parsley when I am cooking my soffritto and other aromatics depending on the recipe.
With this basic method you can build the base to a world of recipes, buon appetito!